Glans Penis Piercings
Healing Time: 2 to 6 months
Do not touch your piercing, or let others touch it while it is healing
Clean your healing piercing only once a day, with antibacterial soap
Never use alcohol swabs, Betadine or hydrogen peroxide to clean your piercing
Ideally soak your piercing in saline solution daily
Never use alcohol swabs or Betadine to clean your piercing
Take care when swimming, avoid spas
Pain, redness and unusual discharge may be due to infection. Consult your piercer or a physician if you develop any of these symptoms
Wear loose clothing
Take vitamin C and zinc to maximize your healing
Wait till your piercing is healed before changing jewelry yourself
Do not touch your piercing unless you are cleaning it. Unwashed hands carry bacteria and your piercing is a point where these bacteria can penetrate below your skin and cause an infection. While healing, your piercing will need to be cleaned once daily - whilst showering is ideal. You will need to use an antibacterial soap that contains either chloroxylenol/PCMX (e.g. Provon) or triclosan (e.g. Cussonís Carex). Otherwise find a mild soap with not more than 0.25% triclosan (i.e. 2.5 mg/mL).
The step-by-step procedure is:
1. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap.
2. Wet the piercing with plain water.
3. Put a few drops of antibacterial soap on the piercing and work them into a lather with a cotton bud.
4. Try to loosen any crusted discharge and float it off the jewelry and your skin with the cotton bud.
5. Leave the antibacterial soap on the piercing for two minutes while rotating the jewelry back and forth, allowing the disinfectant to penetrate the piercing.
6. Rinse with water and air dry thoroughly.