41 W Ferguson
Wood River,IL 62095
Ear Cartilage Piercings
Healing Time 3 - 12 months, depending on the amount of cartilage pierced
Do not touch your piercing with unwashed hands
Do not let others touch it while it is healing
Clean your healing piercing three times a day only, using antibacterial soap
Wash and dry your hair before piercing, and frequently thereafter
Never use alcohol swabs, Betadine, hydrogen peroxide or tea tree oil to clean your piercing
Pain, redness and unusual discharge may be due to infection. Consult your piercer or a physician if you develop any of these symptoms
Take vitamin C and zinc to maximize your healing
Wait till your piercing is healed before changing jewelry yourself
Daily Care Routine
Do not touch your piercing unless you are cleaning it. Unwashed hands carry bacteria and your piercing is a point where these bacteria can penetrate below your skin and cause an infection.
While healing, your piercing will need to be cleaned three times daily.
Cleaning more often than this will harm your piercing.
You will need to use an antibacterial soap that contains either chloroxylenol or triclosan
The step-by-step procedure is:
1. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap.
2. Wet the piercing with plain water.
3. Put a few drops of antibacterial soap on the piercing and work them into a lather with a cotton bud.
4. Try to loosen any crusted discharge and float it off the jewelry and your skin with the cotton bud.
5. Leave the antibacterial soap on the piercing for two minutes while rotating the jewelry back and forth, allowing the disinfectant to penetrate the piercing.
6. Rinse with water and air dry thoroughly. Do not dry with a towel, which may carry bacteria.